Just because you’re aiming to cut calories and eat healthy doesn’t mean that you necessarily have to forgo sweet treats! Here is a fantastic low calorie carrot cake recipe that is sure to please your taste buds.
This carrot cake is really delicious! It’ll become a fast favorite. Because it uses applesauce instead of oil, the result is a flavorful and moist cake. Personally, I enjoy it more than a high calorie version of traditional carrot cake. Plus, it is a great way to sneak in some veggies and fruits as each serving counts for one and a half fruit servings – what other cake can do that?
12 Servings at about 175 calories per serving (use Splenda to save even more calories)
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup of eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar (or Splenda)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups of grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a baking pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the apple butter, applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Next, slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture.
- Blend until all of the ingredients are moistened.
- Lightly mix in the grated carrots.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- After your cake is done cooking, allow it to reach room temperature and then spread cream cheese frosting on top or sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Another option is to use fat-free Cool Whip as a topping.
Check out our fantastic low calorie cream cheese frosting recipe!
Notes and variations:
You can tell if your cake is done by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center and seeing if the batter sticks. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
You can also use this batter to make low calorie carrot cupcakes! Just bake 20-25 minutes until cooked. Remember to grease the muffin tin with nonfat cooking spray or use paper cupcake liners.
Low Calorie Carrot Cake Mix Review
In a hurry and don’t have a lot of time? While I still love my low calorie carrot cake recipe, I recently discovered an organic, gluten-free low calorie carrot cake mix by the brand Simply Organic. I wrote a review on their low calorie banana bread mix and am in love with their products. Make sure to check out their carrot cake version (you can get 3 boxes, the equivalent of 3 cakes, for just around $12 on Amazon!)