We all know that sugary frosting can totally sabotage your attempts to maintain your low calorie lifestyle. Here are some fantastic low calorie frosting recipes and ideas to adorn your next batch of baked goods ! There are sugar-free frosting recipes and low-sugar frosting recipes for every type of diet. From vanilla, to chocolate, to peanut butter, to pineapple, you’ll be sure to find a low fat cake frosting recipe that your tastebuds will love!
Low Calorie Powdered Sugar Icing (Fat Free!)
Powdered sugar icing is a classic. Did you know that you can use Splenda? You can!
- 3/4 cup of Splenda
- 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch
- 4 tsp. of non-fat milk
- Blend the Splenda and cornstarch in a blender until it becomes a powder consistency.
- Remove and pour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Slowly add non-fat milk. (It usually takes 4 tsp of non-fat milk, but feel free to add more or less, depending upon what consistency you’re looking for)
Note: If you’re concerned about it tasting too ‘sugar-free’, then simply substitute half of the Splenda with real powdered sugar.
Low Calorie Sour Cream Frosting (Fat Free!)
Sour cream may sound like an odd type of frosting, but after you try it – you’ll love it! It goes fantastically well with sour cream cake or cupcakes. Turn it into an awesome low calorie chocolate frosting recipe or any flavor for that matter – just substitute your favorite sugar-free pudding mix!
- 8 oz Fat-Free Sour Cream (or fat-free Cool Whip)
- 1 regular sized envelope of Sugar-Free Vanilla Jello Pudding
Blend the two ingredients together until smooth with a handheld mixer.
Low Calorie Vanilla Frosting (Low-Fat!)
Here’s a super easy and delicious vanilla frosting recipe. Goes great with just about anything!
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of low-fat butter substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp non-fat milk
Mix all the ingredients until smooth with a handheld mixer. Add more milk, depending on the consistency you’re looking for.
Low Calorie Cream Cheese Frosting (Fat Free!)
This fat-free cream cheese frosting recipe is wonderful on top of spice cakes, carrot cake, pumpkin pie or even brownies. You can also use it as a yummy low calorie dip. So easy and so good!
- 4 oz of Fat-Free cream cheese
- 4 oz of ‘Free’ Cool Whip
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: Cinnamon & Allspice, to taste
Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
Low Calorie Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
Due to the nature of peanut butter, this frosting recipe unfortunately isn’t fat free, but if you’re really in need of peanut butter frosting, then this recipe will definitely help you save some calories. It is absolutely delicious on top of chocolate cake.
- 1 cup of fat-free Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup of reduced fat peanut butter (creamy or smooth – your choice!)
Mix ingredients together until smooth.
Some More Low Calorie Frosting Ideas
- If you’re looking to add some festivity to your baked goods, simply add a drop or two of your desired color to any of these recipes for a customized frosting. Green for Saint Patrick’s Day Cupcakes, Pink for Valentine’s Day, etc!
- Powdered Sugar Topping – This trick works as a great way to cover up any flaws of your cake and allows the full-flavor of your cake to come through. Try using a stencil to create a beautiful design that will make your guests forget that you opted to go low calorie and go without any frosting. A light powdering may just be all that you need.
- Low Calorie Fruit Glaze – If you’re really trying to cut calories, opt for a fruit glaze such as pureed pineapple mixed with a bit of Splenda. It won’t harden, but goes great on top of white cakes. You can also use sugar-free jams; they make phenomenal low calorie glazes.