Who doesn’t love spinach artichoke dip? If you’re watching your calorie intake, then you probably aren’t able to eat much of it. Here’s a great recipe for deliciously creamy spinach artichoke dip. It’s low calorie, low-fat, dairy-free and vegan, to boot!
Instead of using cheese and oil, this dip recipe gets its creamy texture from low-fat beans. There is tons of flavor and this dip is the perfect accompaniment for those of us watching our waistlines. It’s hard to believe it’s heart healthy and good for you because it has a fantastic creamy texture.
For a great low calorie snack or appetizer, pile the dip on top of cucumber slices or celery sticks. It also goes fantastically well with carrot sticks.
Yields: Approximately 2 cups of dip
- 6 oz steamed spinach
- 1-2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 can of cannelloni beans
- 1/2 cup of chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. of fresh basil
- 1 can of artichoke hearts (NOT the kind marinated in oil)
- Optional: salt and additional spices to taste
- Steam and make sure to thoroughly drain the spinach (it holds so much water!).
- In a blender or food processor, puree all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the artichoke hearts.
- In a medium mixing bowl, gently fold in the minced artichoke hearts with the mixture. Add your optional ingredients (salt & other spices)
This is a versatile vegan spinach artichoke dip that you can serve warm or chilled. Serve with fresh veggie sticks or with low calorie tortilla chips or crackers. It also works as a fantastic spread on pita sandwiches or on top of baked grill chicken for a quick and easy low calorie meal idea.