Looking for some hearty and healthy low calorie breakfast ideas to jump start your weight loss? Read on for 5 different low calorie breakfast meal ideas that you can rotate into your low calorie diet for a satisfying start to every day! These breakfast meal plans are designed to be thrown together in a hurry and the simple ingredients ensure you receive a healthy balance of protein, fiber and carbs for an energizing breakfast.
It has been discovered that a staggering 60% of us do not eat breakfast each morning and that is a huge mistake. No wonder obesity is such an epidemic!
By choosing to not eat breakfast, you are also making the choice to allow your metabolism to stall. It needs to be “woken up” in the morning and it can’t start functioning normally until you eat a healthy breakfast. If you’re looking to lose weight but not looking to make a big commitment, you can see drastic improvements in weight loss simply by eating a 250-300 calorie breakfast each morning. Try eating a healthy breakfast each day for a month and see how much better you feel (and look!)
Low Calorie Breakfast Idea #1
This is a great filling breakfast that will energize you and keep you full until lunch time!
- 1/2 cup of whole grain cereal (Kashi Go Lean is great!)
- 1/2 cup of fat-free milk
- 1 small sliced banana
- Optional: Cinnamon
Low Calorie Breakfast Idea # 2
On the go in the morning? (who isn’t?!) Wash out your favorite travel coffee mug and fill it with this delicious low calorie smoothie recipe. Add benefiber and protein powder for an awesome power boost! This low calorie smoothie is also great after a workout. Add ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.
- 1 cup of skim milk or soy milk
- 1 cup of assorted frozen fruit (I recommend mango and strawberries!)
- 1 tablespoon of protein powder
- 1 teaspoon of benefiber (optional)
Low Calorie Breakfast Idea # 3
- Toasted whole wheat english muffin
- Topped with scrambled eggs or egg beaters
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of fat-free cheddar or mozzarella on top
- Serve with fresh fruit like apple slices or 3/4 cup of sliced strawberries
Low Calorie Breakfast Idea # 4
- Layer your favorite fruit and low-fat yogurt in a parfait glass.
- Sprinkle granola on top.
- Mix protein and fiber powder in with the yogurt for a balanced breakfast that will sustain you.
- Go here for some more low calorie yogurt parfait recipes that are perfect for a breakfast, snack or even as a dessert!
Low Calorie Breakfast Idea # 5
Did you know that melon is a great fat burning food? Reap the benefits, with a satisfyingly sweet breakfast that also happens to be fun to eat. Try out this tasty combination!
- Half a cantaloupe (with the pulp and seeds removed)
- Fill with 1/2 a cup of fat-free cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon
BONUS VIDEO: Another great Low-Cal Option!