You and your family have got to try this super easy and super delicious low calorie, low-fat take on greasy fried chicken. Your tastebuds will fall in love with the crunchy blend of toasted parmesan cheese and dijon mustard. You’ll love how this chicken tastes like it’s coated in that crispy topping that you’re used to enjoying on top of fattening macaroni and cheese.
Serve this low calorie oven fried chicken with: A low calorie side dish such as “faux mashed potatoes”, mashed cauliflower with a pat of butter, salt and milk. Other veggies that go great with this dish are steamed carrots and green beans. Yum!
Serves 4 (4 oz servings)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated fat-free parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard (like Grey Poupon)
- 1 tsp poultry herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika (for color)
- Wash chicken and trim off any excess fat.
- Evenly spread dijon mustard over chicken breast. Set aside.
- In a dish, combine bread crumbs, cheese, paprika and herb seasoning.
- Dip the mustard covered chicken into bread crumb mixture, making sure to evenly coat.
- Transfer into a glass baking pan greased with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 until chicken is thoroughly cooked (juices run clear and there is no pink). I usually bake for 45 minutes, but it is going to depend on the sizes of chicken you use.
Notes and variations for this recipe:
- Instead of using chicken tenders, I cook two 8oz boneless chicken breast pieces. I find they retain a lot more moisture than smaller pieces. Just cut one in half and you have a perfectly portioned 4oz serving.
- For an even healthier version, opt for whole wheat panko bread crumbs, or make your own.
- Whenever possible, I opt for organic chicken. It’s hormone and antibiotic free. Human bodies really don’t know what to do with all those fake hormones found in chicken, which is a bad thing when it comes to weight loss and feeling healthy!