French toast is a classic and well-loved breakfast recipe. If you’re on a low calorie diet, you’ll fall in love with this quick, easy and scrumptious low calorie French toast recipe. You’ll totally feel as though you’re “splurging” on breakfast, even though one slice is just under 75 calories and is very low-fat!
Old-fashioned French toast consists of using fattening butter, super-caloric cream and lots of sugar. This recipe is significantly less rich but just as delicious. Enjoy it all the time, without the guilt.
The ingredients for this recipe will make one serving of two slices, which comes in just under 150 calories, assuming the bread you use is 45 calories a slice. Or, just enjoy one piece for just 75 calories!
- 2 slices low calorie/low-fat bread @ 45 calories a piece, like Weight Watchers®
- 2 egg whites or egg white substitute
- 1 tbsp non-fat milk
- Vanilla flavoring
- Low-cal margarine spray, like I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter®
- Sweetener, to taste
- Cinnamon, to taste
1. In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together egg whites and milk.
2. Add four sprays of ICBINB spray (or about 1 tsp of melted margarine)
3. Add a few drops of vanilla flavoring, sweetener and cinnamon.
4. Pour egg mixture into a plate and soak each side of bread for about 15 seconds (any longer and your bread will become mushy!)
5. Spray a frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pre-heat pan to medium-heat.
6. Cook each side of the bread for two minutes on each side, or until browned.
7. Plate it and your done; enjoy your low calorie, low-fat breakfast!
Notes and Variations:
- Day-old bread works great for this recipe. Or, stick your bread in the toaster for about 10 seconds to dry it out; this works just as well! Otherwise, fresh bread may have a soggy consistency.
- While this low calorie French toast recipe tastes great on it’s own, you may want to serve it with a few low-calorie soy or turkey sausage links with sugar free maple syrup for a super-special breakfast.
- Craving Belgian French toast? Slice strawberries and layer on top of your French toast with fat-free Cool Whip. Absolutely delicious.
- Another delicious twist is Apples and Cinnamon French toast. Simply dice some apples, bake in the microwave with 1 tsp water and 1 tsp cinnamon. Pour on top of the French toast and add some fat-free whipped topping, if you’d like. This version tastes a lot like apple pie and makes an awesome breakfast or dessert.
Technique for Cooking French Toast
*NOTE: DO NOT USE THE INGREDIENTS IN THIS VIDEO BELOW! Fast forward to around the three minute mark to watch how the french toast can be cooked on a griddle or on a pan. In order to save calories, stick with low calorie spray!