Simple, flavorful and delicious, this low calorie green bean recipe will surely become a favorite. Serve it as a low calorie side dish or enjoy a larger portion for a light lunch or dinner. You can also add other veggies such as sliced carrots or substitute green beans with zucchini, cauliflower, etc. Share your favorite veggies combination in the comments section below.
In my area, organic green beans are in season and cheap and plentiful. Since organic produce is what I strive to eat, I’ve been eating a lot of green beans! Quite frankly, I was beginning to get bored of regular, steamed green beans and that is how this yummy recipe was born.
- 2 cups of green beans
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Thoroughly wash and trim ends off green beans.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. It should lightly and evenly coat the bottom of the pan, as to prevent sticking.
- Sauté the grilled onions for two minutes.
- Add the green beans and sauté for another 6 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- During the last minute of cooking, add Dijon mustard and vegetable broth.
- Evenly coat the green beans and onions with the mustard, stirring frequently.
- Cook another minute until liquid has mostly evaporated.
Notes and variations:
These green beans will still be a bit crispy. If you prefer the texture of over-cooked green beans, simply boil or steam them first and then sauté.
You can also use this recipe to make a delicious vegetable medley. Try adding cauliflower and carrots.
More Low Calorie Side Dish Ideas:
- Low Calorie Eggplant Casserole Recipe
- 3 Amazing Low Calorie Cauliflower Recipes
- Low Calorie Crispy Pasta Recipe with Lemon and Olive Oil