Mmmm. Crunchy, crispy and mouth-watering eggplant parmesan. Don’t worry, it’s no longer off limits with this easy and delicious low calorie eggplant parmesan recipe. Approximately 255 calories per serving.
I love eggplant. I probably consume at least one a week. I cube it up and put it in curry (recipe coming soon!) or just saute it with other veggies. Every once in a while, I get in the mood for eggplant parmesan, so I’ve created my own, oil-free, non-fried and baked version that is low calorie and delicious! Also, check out the low calorie lunch or dinner idea at the end of this article for a 350ish calories awesome Italian low calorie meal idea!
Serving size: 4 servings (3-4 eggplant slices) Approximately 255 calories per serving.
You will need:
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2″ slices.
- 1/2 cup of panko whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of fat free, low sodium parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fat free milk
Topping (Optional, but included in the 255 calories, so go for it!)
- 1 cup of fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of low calorie, low sodium marinara sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In one plate, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and dried basil to create the breadcrumb mixture.
- In another plate, throughly stir the egg and milk.
- Coat each eggplant slice in the egg mixture, and then dip and coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Repeat for all the slices and place onto a non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, turn slices over and bake for another 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Plate three slices and spoon 1/4 cup heated low-cal marinara sauce and 1/4 cup fat free mozzarella on top.
Notes and Variations:
- For a vegan version, substitute egg, milk and cheese for vegan friendly options.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten free bread crumbs.
Low Calorie Lunch or Dinner Idea Using This Recipe:
- 3 slices of Eggplant Parmesean (3 slices) – 255 calories
- 1/2 cup cooked whole wheat pasta – 87 calories
- side salad with low calorie dressing – 20 calories (adjust accordingly)
- Satisfying Italian low calorie lunch or dinner = 362 calories!