Craving a gooey, crispy and golden, melts-in-your-mouth quesadilla? Black beans, gooey cheese, steamed zucchini and a side of salsa make this low calorie veggie quesadilla an awesome choice for those who aren’t fans of meat or are just trying to cut back. If you prefer, substitute soy “cheese” and a vegan tortilla for a yummy vegan treat.
Typical quesadillas contain upwards of 500-600 calories each. Try this recipe and you’ll gain a new low calorie quesadilla favorite which can be enjoyed at only around 250 calories. You get to save on half the calories, but not on the taste. Score!
- 1 La Tortilla Factory (or any brand of 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas)
- 1/2 cup fat free Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup cooked low-sodium black beans
- 1/4 cup sliced and steamed zucchini
- 2 tbsp cooked diced yellow onions
- 1/4 cup low-sodium salsa
- Cilantro, to taste
- Non-stick low calorie cooking spray
1. Heat non-stick pan to medium.
2. Spray pan with non-stick spray.
3. Place tortilla in the pan.
4. Layer 1/4 cup of cheese on one half the tortilla.
5. Layer black beans, onions and zucchini and sprinkle on cilantro.
6. Layer on the rest of the cheese.
7. Fold over the quesadilla.
8. Cook both sides until they’re a delectable golden brown.
9. Plate it, cut into 4 sections and serve with salsa.
Notes and variations:
You’ll want to make sure your beans, onions and zucchini are heated in the microwave before adding them to the quesadilla. This will greatly increase your cooking time and help the cheese melt faster.
If you’d like, add on a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt which seriously tastes like sour cream. Your taste buds will never know the difference and it’s only a few more calories.
Low Calorie Lunch Idea – Serve with a crisp garden salad tossed with fat-free dressing for a satisfying low calorie lunch.
Low Calorie Dinner Idea – Serve with 1 cup of your favorite veggies on the side. Make a quick and healthy low calorie Mexican rice simply by mixing 1/2 cup of low sodium salsa with 1/2 cup of steamed brown rice. Yum!