Crunchy, creamy, and savory are three words that describe these tasty low calorie Greek Mediterranean appetizers. Just four ingredients equals a simple and delish snack. Oh yeah, the’re low calorie and vegetarian, too! At 19 calories per appetizer, this will be your new go-to recipe!
I love anything with feta and cucumbers and this recipe is no exception. These are so fast and cheap to make and most of all – they taste amazing! They’re perfect to serve or bring to your next get-together as they’re vegetarian and sure to please everyone’s taste buds. As an added nutritional bonus, each piece contains a few grams of protein from the fat-free feta and hummus.
Enjoy! (make sure not to eat them all and leave a few for your guests!)
Entire recipe is 228 calories. Yields approximately 12 appetizer pieces.
Just 19 calories per appetizer!
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup of your favorite low-fat prepared hummus
- 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of fat-free or low-fat and low-sodium feta cheese
- Greek spice blend (optional)
- Wash and thoroughly dry the cucumber.
- Leave skin on or peel it off; up to you!
- Slice approximately half-inch slices.
- Lay out the pieces flat on a pretty serving tray.
- Pat them dry with a napkin to absorb moisture.
- Thinly spread hummus over the top of each slice.
- Sprinkle feta and diced tomatoes.
- Optional: Sprinkle a Greek spice blend on top for added flavor (oregano, garlic, rosemary, etc.)
Notes and Variations:
- I prefer European variety cucumbers because they are super crunchy and have less seeds.
- Diced red onion would also add nice flavor to this low cal recipe!
- If you’re looking to add some healthy fat to your diet, some finely diced kalamata olives would be delish!
- Instead of cucumbers, you could also use tomato slices, or low-cal crackers.
- Used canned diced tomatoes (no-sodium added) to save time!