Who doesn’t love Italian Cannoli? You can still savor the classic flavor combination for a fraction of the calories with this simple 6 ingredient recipe. Each mini-“cannoli” is just 33 calories, so you can enjoy three of them for 100 calories! Um…yes, please!
While these do not use traditional cannoli shells, my version is a healthy, low-fat, and low-calorie alternative to traditional to deep-fried cannolis. TONS of calories are saved by using crispy phyllo dough shells, which still provide a lovely crunch that goes amazing with the smooth ricotta texture. The ricotta mixture is delicious and will totally satisfy your cannoli and chocolate cravings in a healthy, low-cal way!
33 calories per mini-cannoli (100 calories for three!)
Entire recipe is 492.5 calories and yields 15 mini “cannoli”
- Package of Mini Phyllo/Filo Dough Shells (15 count)
- 3/4 cup of fat-free ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (preferably mini ones!)
- 3 packets of your favorite zero-calorie sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- Bake Phyllo Dough Shells according to package directions.
- Let the crisp shells cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix thoroughly the ricotta, chocolate chips, desired sweetener, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Let the ricotta mixture sit for an hour or two in the refrigerator so the yummy flavors meld.
- Remove mixture from fridge and stir thoroughly again.
- Place rounded tablespoons of mixture into each of the cooked and crisped Phyllo Dough Shells.
- Serve immediately.
Notes and Variations:
Make sure to spoon the mixture into the baked shells at the last moment so they remain crispy!
For a more “chocolately” version, add some cocoa powder to the ricotta mixture.
Add more or less sweetener, depending on your preference.
Sprinkle some additional mini chocolate chips on the top, if you wish.